Wilson Sons was founded by Edward Pellew Wilson in 1837 in Salvador, Bahia. It is thus one of the oldest existing companies that operates in Brazil. During this long history Wilson Sons has become a solid and diversified group focused on provision of port, maritime and logistic land services and nowadays, it is one of the greatest integrated operators in the country.
The group has two important container terminals, Tecon Rio Grande and Tecon Salvador. It is the absolute leader in the maritime towing market having a tugboat fleet and PSVs built in its own shipyard located in Guarujá, in São Paulo. In addition, Wilson Sons has at its base, actions related to Sustainability and Social Responsibility through projects like Creating Ties and Wilson Sons Business History Center.
Wilson & Co is founded in the city of Salvador by brothers Edward and Fleetwood Pellew Wilson. The company is dedicated to the transportation of coal from England and North America and establishes representatives in many countries of South America. With Edward II it starts to expand to the transportation of a dozen products, improves its navigation and in port activities and opens its own shipyard.
Edward Pellew Wilson founds Wilson Sons & Company in Salvador operating in the coal trade.
Office opens in London in order to enable the transportation of coal contracts coming from England and America.
Edward II installs in Recife (PE) Wilson, Brothers and Co, which specializes in the transportation of a dozen products, improves its navigation areas, the port works and open its own shipyard.
Edward II transfers to Rio de Janeiro.
Brazilian forces supply of prata carbon during Paraguay War aided in improving the company.
Participation in the construction of the Great Western Brazil Railway and the building of the country’s first dry dock in the Guanabara Bay.
In addition to the transportation of coal, it expands its trade operations trading involved in the more profitable businesses of the time.
Opening of the first subsidiary in South America, in Montevideo, Uruguay associated to Yarrow, Hett & Company (owner of carbon deposit).
Diversification of the businesses: goods agent, navigation service providers, stowage and tugboats.
de 1878 a 1899
Consolidated as the biggest Brazilian company, Wilson Sons controls navigation is sold to the Davies family, which restructures the company: it creates Wilson Coal Company (exclusive to coal business).
Wilson Sons becomes a corporation by means of shares, and transfers its headquarters to London creating close ties with the Ocean Group of collieries operating in the exploration of mines. In Argentina, merges with Yarrow, Hett & Company.
Edward Pellew (father) dies.
Expansion to São Paulo, providing coal to the vessels in the port of Santos.
Wilson Sons passes through a difficult time as a result of having political positions contrary to Brazilian government. The company control is sold by the Davies and Edward maintains just a small participation in Brazil and England.
de 1900 a 1936
The holding Ocean & Wilson Ltd, was created as a public company on the London Stock Exchange. The group imports to and trades in the Brazilian market, with a focus on products which were not produced internally but maintains the coal business, supplying the major customers of the country – marine vessels, rail, gas companies, industries and most of the vessels docked in Brazil.
In England, the Davies family reorganizes the company creating Wilson Coal Company (exclusive to coal businesses) and changing Wilson Sons Company as owner of the ports responsible for supplying coal to all the South Atlantic.
Creation of Ocean Coal & Wilson Ltd from the union with Ocean Group of collieries.
Agreement signed according to Rio de Janeiro Lighterage Company Limited.
de 1936 a 1956
Wilson Sons is considered the biggest trade company in the country. However, the substitution of coal as the source of energy and the Brazilian industrialization that limits the importing licenses causes the board of directors from the group to stop its activities in Brazil and Latin America. The Salomon family becomes to be one of the biggest investors of Wilson Sons.
Majority members from English Wilson Sons buy control of Lighterage Company, turning it into a subsidiary from Wilson Sons Co. Ltd.
Period in which it lost its largest source of profit due to the dominance of air transportation.
The board of directors decides that it is no longer possible to operate in Brazil and in Latin America and stops local activities.
Salomon family becomes an important investor.
Wilson Sons Ltd. turns to be Wilson Sons S.A Market, Industry and Shipping Agency.
de 1957 a 1986
Under Walter Salomon’s orders, Wilson Sons pursues a new path. The headquarters return to Rio de Janeiro and the control of assets of Ocean Wilson Holdings Ltd. Activities concentrate on navigation (agency) and tugboats.
The headquarters return to Rio de Janeiro.
Walter Salomon buys Wilson Sons, travels to Brazil and concentrates the activities in navigation and tug boats.
Rio de Janeiro Lighterage Company is transformed into Companhia de Saveiros do Rio de Janeiro.
Acquisition of Camuyrano Serviços Marítimos duplicating the size and the importance of the fleet. Saveiros and Camuyrano starts to operate as associated companies.
Servemar Serviços de Rebocadores Agência Marítima e Passagens Ltda is created.
Nationalization of Wilson Sons Company Limited, becoming Wilson Sons de Comércio. The company’s decision center moves from London to Rio de Janeiro and all employees start to be hired in Brazil.
Incorporation by Saveiros of the company Serviços Marítimos Camuyrano S.A, creating Saveiros, Camuyrano Serviços Marítimos.
Acquisition of Guarujá Shipyard.
Launches the Nitéroi Shipyard.
Creation of Sobrare - Sociedade Civil Brasileira Auxiliar de Empresas Ltda. (Brazilian Civil Society Support to Companies).
Sobrare acquires the whole of Servemar’s shares, starts to be Sobrare-Servemar S.A.
de 1987 a 1996
William Salomon takes control of Wilson Sons and the group starts developing new businesses, acting in all areas linked to maritime transport in Brazil: agency service, container deposit, support and port operations, towing, naval construction and cabotage.
Walter Salomon dies.
William Salomon takes control of the group, centralizes the businesses and gives a new image to the company.
Creation of Allink Transportes Internacionais and constituted Wilson Sons Agência Marítima.
Creation of Wilport Operadores Portuários.
de 1997 a 2006
Period of great investment. Wilson Sons participates and wins the bid for exploiting the container terminal in Rio Grande, and later, in Salvador. In 2007, the Group decides to open its capital on the national and international stock market, in a process which involved three different markets (São Paulo, London and Luxemburg).
In the year that it celebrates 160 years, Wilson Sons leases the Container Terminal of Rio Grande Port (Tecon Rio Grande).
EADI Santo André Inaugurated.
Creation of Mega Agência Marítima Ltda in partnership with the group Ultramar from Chile, and Brasco through a joint venture with Asco.
Lease of Container Terminal of Salvador Port (Tecon Salvador).
Beginning of Wilson Sons Logistics’ activities.
Wilson Sons takes total control of EADI Santo André Port.
Reformulation of visual identity and business unification: Wilson Sons Logistica, Wilson Sons Terminais, Wilson Sons Agência and Wilson Sons Rebocadores (tugboats).
de 2007 a 2016
The Wilson Sons Group, becomes one of the biggest integrated operators of maritime, port and logistics services in Brazil, acting as service supplier to national and international maritime trading sectors.
Wilson Sons opens its capital and joins Bovespa.
Buys minority participation to own 100% of Tecon Salvador.
Construction of the Third Birth in Tecon Rio Grande,resulting in Brazil’s largest container terminal in retro-area.
Joint Venture with Magallanes Navegação Brasileira (controlled by Chilean group Ultratug) creates Wilson Sons Ultratug Offshore.
Beginning of operations of the new group’s company, Transvisas.
Beginning of Tecon Salvador’s expansion, Guarujá shipyard’s expansion, building of the shipyard in Rio Grande and total purchase of Brasco.
Acquisition of the remaining 25% of Brasco, bringing Wilson Sons control to 100% of the asset.
Through its subsidiary, Brasco Logistica Offshore Ltda, Wilson Sons signs contract for acquisition of total quotas representative of Bric Brazilian Intermodal Complex’s capital S/A ("Briclog") for the price of 125 million BRL.
Expansion of Tecon Salvador almost doubling the terminal’s capacity. Wilson Sons celebrates 175 years since the Company foundation and Tecon Rio Grande celebrates 15 years in operation for the Company.
Conclusion of the Guarujá II shipyard increasing the Company’s naval construction capacity from 4,500 tons to 10,000 tons of steel per year.
Through the Brasco Logística Offshore Ltda, Wilson Sons concludes the acquisition of the total share capital of Bric Brazilian Intermodal Complex S/A (“Briclog”), base for the support of the offshore oil and gas industry.
Tecon Salvador receives for the first time the ship Bartolomeu Dias from Aliança Navegação, a cabotage vessel with the greater load-carrying capacity ever operated in the terminal.
Wilson Sons Agency in the port of Açu, Rio de Janeiro, began in May with shipping agency to Anglo American Brasil.
Renewal of the Container Terminal concession in Salvador, acquisition of 6 tugboats of Vale. Start of operations in Santa Clara Terminal.